When buying a property in Spain problems may arise, if you decline to use a solicitor you may find yourselves with legal complications which can affect your ownership rights.
For this reason it is important to seek legal advice before buying. Abigados (lawyers) provide complete, up-to-date, legal and tax advice during the whole transaction of buying or selling a Spanish property.
- Give you advice on your liability to taxes and other expenses in connection with the purchase.
- Check with the land registry the current ownership of the property and confirm that it is free from debts and other charges.
- Where appropriate check that the property has all the necessary licenses and/or planning permission.
- Advise you about the declared values in connection with the purchase.
Draft a sales contract or approve contracts provided by others.
Give help with the transfer of funds to Spain.
- Accompany you on the completion of the purchase, this being the signing of the ownership deed “escritura” in the presence of a Spanish Notary (public official).
- Arrange for payment of taxes, registration fees and notary honours in accordance to your purchase.
- Arrange for the property to be registered at the Land Registry.
- On receipt of the registered title back from the Land Registry, they will check it and either forward it to you or file it safely on your behalf.
- Liaison throughout the transaction with the estate agent, developers, other lawyers, the registry and the notary.
- Fiscal representation throughout the whole transaction.